Easy and delicious apple cake recipe – perfect for autumn days. I love cooking or baking with apples, so I’ll share this quick easy apple recipe (source of original recipe – Rachel Allen)
- 2 eggs
- 175 g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 85 g butter
- 75 ml milk
- 125 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I’m not such a fan of cinnamon so l left this out)
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (or chunks!)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Line a square baking tin (8 inch by 8 inch) with baking paper
- Whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl until thickened enough to leave a trail (took about 5 mins with my electric mixer)
- Melt butter and pour into egg mixture (stirring all the time)
- Fold in flour, cinnamon and baking powder, mix gently but thoroughly to ensure no lumps
- Pour mixture into baking tin
- Arrange apple slices over the top of batter – they will sink to bottom during cooking
- In my oven I cook for 20-25 mins, checking it after 20 min, and taking out when it is golden brown and well risen
- Allow to cool in tin before slicing into squares – enjoy!
- Can be served with fresh cream, custard or icecream – but still warm and moist from the oven it’s perfect on it’s own!
So there you have it – a delicious and easy apple cake recipe.
If you enjoyed this recipe, why now follow my Baking Pinterest Board.