Lessons learned this week:
- Despite a few days of glorious weather, autumn is on it’s way. On Sunday in the local park I could see the first leaves changing colour (color – just in case you think, like spell check, that I don’t know how to spell where you live!) on the trees and even the first conkers of the season too!
- We received some potential plans for our bathroom (aka the room of gloom) makeover. This would be the view from above – we are considering various options, but this is our preferred one at the moment……but I reserve the right to change my mind at any moment!
- Sometimes it is worth entering a photo competition even if it is a last minute decision. I love I Heart Faces and was delighted to come second. Sorry to regular readers here to mention it AGAIN, but I was very chuffed!
- I love my newly purchased sign – my latest, which is destined for the cottage of course.
- Learning about income tax, Class 2 and Class 4 national insurance contributions etc is not as scary as I thought it would be.
As part of setting up my small business, janmary designs, I attended a 4 hour seminar today on “Becoming Self-Employed” by HMRC (Her Majestys Revenue and Customs!).
Also in attendance were two moblile hairdressers, one originally from Russia and the other from Lithuania. If it was a challenge for me in English, I cannot imagine trying to follow it in another language.
- I am attending night classes for free training in lots of areas such as marketing, financial planning, book keeping etc at our local Business Enterprise Centre. I have met some really interesting and varied people who are also starting their own businesses.
At the modules I have attended so far I have met a female tatooist, someone who makes celebration cakes, graphic designers, a couple planning to sell organic baby food, a silver smith and a wine journalist, among many others.
It is fascinating to meet all these people, having met mostly mums in the school playground and at toddler groups for the last number of years.
- I am bringing my jewellery and digital scrapbooking along to a Pampered Chef evening a friend is hosting – now that is MUCH more scary than tax returns!
It will be great to introduce my “creations” (!) to some new people, and hopefully get some orders in the run up to Christmas.
So…..hint, hint…..if you would like me to create a bespoke bracelet, necklace or phone charm, or perhaps create your family christmas card or a custom digital picture using your photos……get in touch. I would love to help 🙂
Here are a few items to remind you of what I love to do….
For more great lessons, visit Jo-Lynne – I love to see what other lessons fellow bloggers have learned this week.
Have you learned anything? Please share.