I decided to use a sort-of Christmas meme to recap this month of daily blogging, and have interspersed it with some of my fave photos from this month too.
- Favorite ornament?
Too many to choose from – but here are a few
- Family traditions?
We have lots – but lighting the Advent candles on the Christmas Pyramid and singing carols as a family is probably my favourite.
- What is your favorite Christmas carol?
Silent Night, although after my daughter being chosen to sing the first verse of Once in Royal David’s City with her senior school choir I will never be able to hear it again without thinking of her performances.
- What is your favorite secular Christmas song?
White Christmas and perhaps now also I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas as it was performed by our kids school this year. If you haven’t yet seen this, take a moment, and enjoy!
- What is your favorite Christmas movie?
The original Miracle on 34th Street – but did not actually watch it this year.
- What is your favorite Christmas memory growing up?
Singing Christmas carols on Christmas Eve
- Do you shop early or are you a late shopper?
I start to buy a couple of thing from September onwards, but like it all done by the end of November as 2 of our kids have December birthdays.
- Do you make homemade gifts for friends and family?
Not usually, but this year I made the teacher gifts – cookie mix jars.
I also made decorated some candles, and made beaded snowflakes too.
- What was your favorite Christmas present ever?
I remember getting a dolls house when I was about 4.
- On the average how many presents do you buy for each of your kids?
We don’t have a set number, but do have a budget per child.
- When do you put up the tree?
Usually the first weekend of December, before my middle daughter’s birthday.
- Is your tree real or artificial?
We have two, both artificial, one is now 18 years old, since we were married, and the other is a compact/skinny one we have had about 5 years I think.
- How do you decorate your tree(s)?
The skinny tree in the family room has lots of kids decorations, lots of red and green, bells and candy canes.
The living room tree is all gold, cream and browns – it is MY tree!
Both have white lights.
- Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star – on both
- Do you read any special books on Christmas Eve?
We read 2 books – one called “The 3 Trees” which includes the birth of Jesus, and then “Twas the Night Before Christmas”. This year, for the first time, my eldest daughter read to the younger two, which was special.
- Do you have a nativity scene?
Lots! This was my first set. You can see the rest in my Nativity Blog Carnival post.
- What do you leave for Santa?
A glass of port, a mince pie and a carrot for the reindeer.
- Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?
Christmas morning – this year it was at 7am.
- Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Traditional Christmas dinner with all the trimmings – especially the stuffing, sprouts, gravy and cranberry sauce.
- Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Once our kids were born, after a couple of years of driving to various family members, we now prefer to stay home. I really enjoy setting the table for Christmas Dinner.
I love to have a relaxing morning with the kids and their presents, spend some time with the neighbours, cook the Christmas Dinner, and whatever family are joining us arrive about 2pm. We eat around 3pm, then everyone does the dishes and I can relax!
- When do you take the tree down?
The first weekend after New Year is when the trees come down – but I start to gather up some smaller bits and pieces and the Christmas cards before that.
- Most annoying thing about this time of year?
The crowds in the supermarkets – this year I managed to order our groceries on-line and have them delivered – which was wonderful, especially with the icy roads.
- Ever been to a late-night Christmas Eve services?
My husband goes to a communion service at our church at 9pm. The year we lived in Bristol we went to a midnight Christmas Eve candlelit service in a beautiful church.
So what will be your fave memories from this Christmas?