900g (2 lb) good quality pork sausages (I prefer Cumberland – which are meaty and herby)
2 onions – peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves – peeled and chopped
2 red chillies – deseeded and finely chopped
2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 teasp soft brown sugar
OR instead of the garlic, chillies and tin tomatoes use 1 large jar of tomato and chili pasta sauce (I use Lloyd Grossman’s)
500 g dried pasta (I usually use penne)
freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- Cut sausages into 1 inch pieces. Heat a large frying pan or flameproof casserole and cook sausages for 5 mins until lightly browned.
- Drain off excess fat, leaving just a thin coating, then add onions and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes until golden brown
- (If using jar of pasta sauce, add it now and skip the next 2 steps and simmer for 40 minutes)
- Stir in chillies and cook for 1 minute
- Add tomatoes, sugar and some salt & pepper. Bring to boil, partially cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes until dark and a little pulpy.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in a large pan of boiling water, drain well.
- Serve pasta with sausage sauce and parmesan.